In Oregon a flesh-eating bacteria a week deprived the boy half of the body, and then killed
The boy from Oregon (USA) fell off his bike and hurt his hip. The wound became dangerous flesh-eating bacteria and a few days later the child died in the hospital, despite the amputation of infected body parts and other efforts by doctors to save him.
8-year-old Liam Flanagan fell off the bike on Saturday 13 January 2018, when he decided to leave the hill near his home in spring Creek, Oregon. In the fall he flew over the handlebars and caught his upper thigh. The wound seemed small and harmless, to the hospital the boy was taken only to stitches.
But a few days later, when Liam was already at home, he felt a strong pain in the groin and found a site which looked horribly, everything was purple-red and looked like incipient gangrene. On Wednesday 17 January, the child was urgently taken to hospital where he was diagnosed with necrotizing fasciitis, which the press often called flesh-eating bacteria.
Necrotizing fasciitis is one of the most dangerous bacterial infections and leads to death in 30% of cases. It develops very quickly around the wound, through which enters the body and with great speed «eat» connective tissue, muscles, nerves, blood and fat cells.
After Liam was in the hospital, the infection is beginning to be widely spread on the entire right side of his body. In order to remove the affected areas of the flesh, including to amputate his leg and part of the arm, the child held four surgeries in three hospitals, but it didn’t help. Sunday 21 January, just a week after falling off his Bicycle, the boy died.
The child’s parents — the mother Sarah and stepfather Hebard Scott Hinkle are now in a state of shock and encourage other parents to show sverkhplastichnost on the part of wounds and cuts in children and carefully monitor the wound after suturing. «We don’t want other parents going through similar,» says Scott.
First, removal of the damaged tissues Liam did the surgeons at the hospital of St. Anthony in Pendleton, spending a few hours. But realizing that infection could not be stopped on Thursday, the child was transported to children’s hospital in Portland. According to parents, it was like a surreal nightmare.
«They just cut him piece by piece,» says Scott.
«They cut almost the entire right side of his body,» says Sarah, «They just cut a piece off and hoped that it would help. Then again, cut and hope.»
After the operation did not help and the child’s condition became critical, he was taken to the third hospital to hospital Randall in the same Portland. It was a Sunday. A few hours later the baby died.
The boy’s mother still remembers how her son tried to fight and tried to be in a good mood, supporting those who were worried about him. Even when he was all in bandages and wrapped in tubes and wires of the instrument. He even joked with friends, communicating via FaceTime.
«He said, «It’s only a few days, and then I’d go home again,» says Sarah, «He was so strong and brave.»
On the last day Liam became so bad that he couldn’t absorb water and was dehydrated. The mother then told him that she would not drink until he can do it. The boy then took her hand and said that she hugged him.
«He was such a cute baby as a ray of light», remembered his parents, — «He loved everyone and everyone loved him. He never a bad word said.»
Now the parents of Liam wonder what went wrong and who is to blame for the incident. They think it may be worthwhile to take him to the hospital before, when he first complained of pain and then the infection wouldn’t have gone this far.
The first symptoms of infection necrotizing fasciitis:
— Pain or soreness.
— Severe swelling around the wound.
— Ulcers, blisters or black spots.
— Severe fatigue
Treatment usually involves the use of strong antibiotics. Surgical intervention is necessary at the stage when antibiotics did not help and the infection started to spread to the whole body.